Flood Disaster Preparation
According to Central Texas Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster, the weather in this state can change in an instant. Long periods of dry weather can suddenly turn to torrential rains. Unfortunately, this can make the likelihood of flooding especially high, as these extreme fluctuations can make it more difficult for the ground to absorb high levels of rainwater in a short period of time. For homeowners, flooding can be one of the worst natural disasters that can occur, as the damage caused by floodwaters is often irreversible and may require extensive property renovation.
For those individuals living in low-lying areas, it is important to be prepared for the worst in case incidents of flooding should occur. However, even the best preparation may not be able to prevent the worst from happening. If you or someone you know has suffered flood damage to your home, contact the Austin carpet cleaners of WOW Total Cleaning today at 512-291-0048 to speak with an experienced member of our professional staff about how our services can help you.
How to Prepare for a Flooding Incident
Flooding is one of the most difficult types of natural disasters for homeowners to recover from. Therefore, preparation for a flooding incident can be essential to preventing some of the most catastrophic consequences that may occur. If you know that you live in an area that is prone to flooding, there are a number of steps you can take before, during, and after flooding occurs to help limit the damage that your home may suffer as a result.
- Try to keep your important home appliances, such as your furnace and water heater, in elevated positions
- Seal basement walls with waterproofing materials
- Close foundation cracks
- Install check valves, which can help to prevent flood water from coming up through pipes and drains
- Move valuable items to higher ground or a second story
- Turn off electricity and other utilities
- Have flood waters extracted from your home as soon as possible
- Remove carpeting, walls, and other portions of the home which have suffered water damage–if left untouched, mold can begin to grow in these areas and spread to other portions of your home
- Get fresh air circulating throughout your home
Taking these types of preventive measures along with those laid out by HSEM, can help prevent your home from suffering the worst possible damage in a flood. However, if significant flooding does occur, it is still likely that at least some amount of damage will occur. Your goal should be reducing the potential harm in a disaster to the maximum possible extent, rather than trying to avoid it entirely.
While preparation and prevention are critical to ensuring that your home does not suffer the worst damage that it could in a flood, these measures can only do so much. If you or someone you know has suffered considerable property damage because of flooding, we can help you restore your home. Contact the Austin carpet cleaning and restoration professionals of WOW Total Cleaning today at 512-291-0048 to discuss your situation and how we can help.