Carpet can be a wonderful addition to have in your home. It is soft and warm on your feet, it can add a little bit of soundproofing – keeping those echoes to a minimum – and you can find it in just the right color to help to pull a whole room together!
But dirt, bacteria and allergens can get trapped within the fibers of your carpet, which is why it is very important to keep your carpet clean. Not only that, unsightly stains on them can make your floors look dirty, and that could be embarrassing!
Luckily, keeping them clean and fresh is easier than you think. Use some of these DIY carpet cleaning tips to keep your floor looking like new!
1. Blot Carpet Stains
When something spills on your carpet, your first instinct may be to grab a towel and start wiping it up. While rubbing at a stain may make it dry more quickly, it can be detrimental to the carpet itself. Basically, while you might be drying the rug, you’ll likely be damaging it as well.
Blotting is very important when it comes to removing stains. Wiping or rubbing a stain can lead to the premature breakdown of carpet fibers, and may also push particles deeper into the carpet. If you accidentally force the stain deeper into the carpet, you may be out of luck to clean it yourself. Of course, if that happens, you can always call your local carpet cleaners (that’s us)!
But to prevent the need for a deep steam clean every time you spill a beverage, remember that to carefully blot stains to soak up the liquid with just a little bit of pressure. Blotting is the key to a happy, clean carpet!
2. Remove Carpet Stains with Vinegar
As most people know, vinegar is quite the super cleaner, tackling anything from mirrors to kitchen counters, toilets, to microwaves, and everything in between. The acidity in vinegar can cut through some pretty tough buildup, including stains in your carpet!
By filling a spray bottle with vinegar, diluted with some water, you can spray this power cleaner directly onto the stains on your carpet. Let sit for a minute or two, blot up, and stain begone! Always make sure to test an inconspicuous area of your carpet, to make sure there is no unwanted reaction. And don’t worry about the odor of vinegar – it may seem strong at first, but it’ll dissipate and smell like it was never there!
3. Use Baking Soda To Remove Carpet Stains & Pet Odors
If you are looking for a way to deodorize your carpets, baking soda is definitely the way to go.
Sprinkle it on your carpet after a good initial vacuum (baking soda mixed with any dirt would not do much good), and let it set for a few hours. (the longer the better!) before vacuuming again. Baking soda does not just mask odors, it eliminates them.
However, for fresh stains, soak the spot with some vinegar (that super cleaner we all know and love) first, and then follow with a generous sprinkle of baking soda on top. Then pour some more vinegar on top of your baking soda bump. Give your mixture several minutes to absorb the stain, wipe up, and, once it’s dried, give it one last vacuum.
This trick especially works wonders on pet stains!
Call The Pros at WOW!
Whether you have old stains or new ones, WOW Total Cleaning is always there to help you out! If you are struggling to get those gnarly spots out, or just don’t have time to deal with it, give us a call! We will wow you with the results.
After all, you will be getting the best carpet cleaning service in Austin, Texas!
- Extremely professional company! The crew did a phenomenal job today on our ceramic tile floor, getting rid of the wax, steaming, and polishing the floors! It was a long job but they left our floors immaculate! The front desk, Ivy, gave us updates on when they would arrive and communicated with us on any changes in their schedule. I highly recommend this company, and we will definitely use them again!!!
- We just had our tile flooring thoroughly stripped and cleaned. They did an amazing job and me and my husband are very pleased. They worked very hard and took almost no breaks. They arrived on time and the staff were extremely professional, respectful, and pleasant. I wish we knew about them before. We would have used them yearly. I highly recommend their service. They are a bit pricey but well worth every dime as they will leave your house immaculate. We will recommend them to all our neighborhood. It is rare to get such stellar service. We look forward to using them soon.
- I called Wow Total Cleaning's Emergency Hotline and the owner Gustavo immediately picked up. It wasn't some calling center that I had to wait for, it was a direct line to his cell phone which I really appreciated. They offered to come immediately in the middle of the night, but I was working with the insurance claims and so we started first thing the next morning.
- While on a 3 week vacation we had WOW come to our 4200 SQFT house and what can I say.............INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!! Even the Schmootz in the corners that accumulates was REMOVED! Every Horizontal surface was SPIC AND SPAN!!!! Floors polished....Blinds cleaned...Ceiling fans cleaned...and even the windows(INSIDE AND OUT)...They were ...ON TIME...PROFESSIONAL and they did an EXCEPTIONAL JOB!!!!!!!.....VERY REASONABLY PRICED as WELL.
- The WOW team was on time, courteous and professional in every way. When they were finished I asked them to do a little more. They were happy to stay late to take care of my request. I will continue to use WOW for my cleaning needs.
- Best job and service ! We use them two to three times every year . Always on time and excellent work ! I recommend them to everyone ! Oh and the prices are fair , can't beat that !
- They did a fantastic job and were very professional. You could tell that they did it (and did it well) because they actually cared about helping more that just the money. They answered all our calls and were quick to get there after we first called them. Our house flooded, and they were quick and compassionate in their work to extract the water and take out damaged carpet and ceiling. I definitely recommend them.
- We have used Wow at least 3 times, maybe 4. They are always professional, on time and they do a great job. We have done carpet, upholstery, and tile. They have been great in every scenario. All in all, great service.
- WOW Total Cleaning always do an excellent job cleaning our carpets, tile and grout. They are always on time, careful with our house and furniture, very nice, courteous and fast. We always call them when We need our tile and carpet to be clean, especially after a party or Holidays, We will sure recommend WOW Total Cleaning. Thanks for a great service, and excellent rates!!